September 15, 2012

Avocado Bacon Grilled Cheese Sandwich













































I am cheating. Last week I created a weekly feature for this blog, called the Pin of the Week, that I intend to publish every Sunday morning. I am cheating because this post is very close to a pin of the week post, and it really should have been one. But I already have a pin picked out for tomorrow, and when I saw this recipe on Pintrest recently I couldn't resist making it right away and sharing it with you.

As I have mentioned many times before, my husband and I are currently living on a strict budget. As a result, my husband eats a lot of grilled cheese sandwiches, and I eat them too from time to time. This recipe jumped out at me because my husband loves bacon (really, who doesn't?) and I love avocados. It seemed like the perfect blend of flavours and tastes, and avocado will make the sandwich a little more healthy - though this is probably cancelled out by the bacon...

I must admit, I changed the original recipe slightly by changing the cheese and omitting the apple, to suit it more to our tastes. If you would like to view the original recipe, please view the Jana Laurene Blog. I might try this recipe with the apple sometime in the future, but for now I figured that two new additions to an old favourite were enough. Here's what I did:


Avocado & Bacon Grilled Cheese Sandwich

2 slices bread {sourdough or whole wheat}

2 slices of pre-sliced swiss cheese
3 slices of cooked bacon
1/2 of a mashed avocado
1 tsp margarine/butter

1. Cook the bacon according to the package directions. Once cooked, place on a plate covered with paper towel in order to absorb excess grease.


2. Using the margarine/butter, butter the outside of both slices of bread. Place one of the buttered pieces of bread into a non-stick pan, buttered side facing down into the pan. {Note: For a full-flavoured version, you can cook the sandwich in the same pan as the bacon, using the grease to increase the bacon flavour. But this adds a ton of calories!}


3. Place a slice of the pre-sliced swiss cheese on top of the slice of bread in the pan. Follow this up by spreading the mashed avocado on top of the cheese so that it covered the slice of cheese and the entire face of the slice of bread.


4. Place the strips of bacon into the avocado, and push them in so that they rest among the mashed avocado, rather than sitting on top. This will help to make the sandwich melt together when it's cooking. Finish the sandwich off by placing the final slice of swiss cheese on top of the bacon, and the final slice of bread on top of that, buttered side facing up towards you.


5. Cook the sandwich on medium heat. Cook two minutes per side, making sure to flip before burning. Once cooking is complete, cut once down the middle and serve.



Photo Credit: Lunch & Dinner, Jana Laurene Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...