September 1, 2012

Brick Works Farmer's Market



























I have been planning for so long to go to the Brick Works Farmer's Market in the north end of Toronto. My husband and I attend out local farmer's market every Saturday morning in the summer, but I was interested in checking out another/bigger one. I follow BlogTO on Twitter and I saw a tweet about the market, which prompted me to look into it and determine that I needed to go immediately.

Unfortunately, due to circumstances beyond my control I wasn't able to go immediately. I wasn't even able to go within a few weeks of finding out about the market. So I waited patiently...

And this morning I went! I slept in a little bit and got to the market just after 10am. If you ever plan on going (which I recommend!) please please please go early. We did not go early enough, and we probably spent the next 20 or so minutes trying to park. It almost got ugly a couple times, but we eventually sneaked into a spot just as someone was pulling out. Also, be aware that you need to pay for parking, at a rate of $1.50 per half hour, up to a maximum of $8.00.

The market itself was fantastic! There were so many choices for fresh fruit and vegetables, and there were tons of other types of food vendors there as well. We chose to refrain from eating breakfast before we went (though I made a coffee before we left, obviously haha) and we bought our breakfast there. My husband and I are on a budget, so we chose to share our food as a way to sample a few different items and save a couple dollars. We started off with some savoury homemade organic fries from a booth called JK Fries. The fries were served with your choice of regular mayo or cajun mayo... we chose cajun and were so pleased with our selection. The fries were amazing, and a great way to start off breakfast!

We walked around a bit and my husband mentioned that he wanted to find the crepe vendor, as he had heard about a good one. We found the vendor, but apparently everyone else had the same idea: The line was at least 10 people deep and didn't look like it was moving quickly. So we kept walking, and we chose instead to split a breakfast waffle. We stopped at a booth called The Waffle Bar and had a waffle topped with fresh peaches and whipping cream that was whipped right on the spot. We also got some kind of apple doughnut on the side, but it had a very French name and I can't remember exactly what it was called. But the waffle and the doughnut thing were amazing! I would drive back there just for the waffle.

We have plans next weekend so we will likely just be back at our local farmer's market. But we do have plans to visit the St. Lawrence Market in the near future, and we will likely hit up the Brick Works Farmer's Market again soon - perhaps when the fall, once the autumn vegetables are out!

Photo Credit: Flickr: Michael A. J. Rumig

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...