September 21, 2012

Old Coffee Renewed


Don't you hate those old odds and ends of various type of coffee that always seem to collect in your cabinets? I find that I start a bag of grinds and then find that another type is on sale and I want to try it too... which results in my currently having three different types of coffee in my cupboard, all with little amounts left in the bottom of the bag/container.

There little bits no longer have that fresh and delicious bold coffee taste. Sadly, they have started to taste a little stale. But I am stubborn, and the child of mindful, scrupulous parents - therefore I am unable to simply throw out the coffee at the bottom of the bags. So I decided to try and salvage the coffee ends by flavouring them. I am a HUGE fan of Starbucks' flavoured coffees, especially hazelnut lattes. So I thought that perhaps I could improve the flavour of these ends of the various coffee bags by adding some flavour extracts, like the vanilla extract commonly used when baking.

Honestly, I am not sure that I would recommend this to others, but it might be worth a shot to try if you have some leftover, dull coffee to finish off. I was disappointed that I could not find hazelnut extract, but I did try vanilla and almond. I initially tried a tbsp of each (in separate cups of coffee); I found the vanilla to still be very bland and lacking in vanilla flavour, while the almond flavour was almost too much in the other cup. I reduced the almond flavouring by half and found it to be much more pleasant. For the vanilla flavouring I added an additional 1/2 tbsp, but I honestly didn't find this to make a big enough improvement on the flavour for me to have considered this to be successful. It was disappointing, as vanilla is such a wonderful flavour to add just a little punch to an otherwise bland taste. But at least the almond flavouring worked - more or less - and it will hopefully get me through the ends of the stale coffee!

Photo Credit: Photography Blogger

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...