November 11, 2012

Pin of the Week: Morning Yoga Sequence



















































































Lately I have been feeling pretty unhealthy. The fact that I have been eating poorly (thanks to Halloween leftovers at the office) has contributed to this feeling, but I have just had this incredible urge to get active. I gave up my gym membership about six months ago, as to be totally honest, I wasn't going often enough to make my membership fee worth it. And if I am going to be totally honest, I haven't really missed it until now.

When I was going to the gym, one of the things I really enjoyed doing was going to the yoga classes held three times a week. Not only would these classes provide me with structure and accountability - meaning that I would feel guilty if I didn't go, as people would notice if I didn't attend class - I found them to be a very good way to relieve stress.

So while cruising around Pintrest I came across this simple yoga routine for mornings. I gave it a try yesterday morning and this morning, and loved it! The only unfortunate thing about this sequence is the fact that there are no accompanying instructions, and no one to guide you through the motions as there would be in a class. So I kind of made it up as I went along - there really wasn't much of the graceful transition between poses as yoga normally involves, but I made it work. And I found most of these positions to be great for stretching out various muscle groups, so I tried to hold them for a minimum of 30 seconds each. I intend to eventually build up so that I am able to hold each pose longer, but some of them (#7!) are pretty difficult to hold for any extended period of time.

Though I am not sure how frequently I will be able to do this on weekday mornings, as I am always sleeping in until the last possible second and thus barely have time to do everything I need to do as it currently is, I think this sequence would be a great way to quickly stretch and release some stress before the days even starts.

Photo Credit: Tales From the Yoga Mat // Mind Body Green

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...