December 14, 2012

A Little Bit of Perspective


























I had a horrible day today. From the second I awoke and realized that I had slept through my alarm clock, it seemed like nothing went right. My debt card didn't work at Starbucks, my mirrors on my work car weren't working properly, I had a huge problem at work... the list goes on and on. I had planned to tell you all about it in a post tonight; I figured that I would be able to write about my day in a way that would be humorous and entertaining for you, which would hopefully allow me to laugh it off.

This was until I heard about the Connecticut shooting.

I can't even begin to fathom what the victims and their families must being going through right now, but I know that my bad day isn't even comparable. I feel a little guilty for even thinking that my day was bad, as there are clearly so many more awful and horrific events occurring in the world, far beyond the annoyances that I experience in my little bubble. My heart breaks for the mothers and fathers in Connecticut who will not be able to hug their children and tuck them in to bed tonight, or ever again. For the families of the staff members killed. For the family members of the killer, who will forever struggle to strike a balance between the horror of his actions and the grief of his death. My heart breaks again to know that life will never be 'normal' for those directly affected by this tragedy, and they will spend much time and energy trying to make sense from a senseless act.

For those of us who vicariously experienced today's tragedy through major news outlets and word-of-mouth, there is little we can do to assist those harmed by this act. We can include the victims and their families in our thoughts and prayers, and we can perhaps make a financial contribution if the means are set up. But one of the biggest contributions we can make it to learn from this experience, and move forward from it knowing that our ability to prevent future actions of this nature is strengthened. Currently there are several people on Twitter calling for an overhaul of US gun legislation; though a review of related policy and legislation is often called for after an act such as this, the lessons we take away from this tragedy as individuals don't have to be so grand in scale. Personally, I know that the next time my alarm clock fails to wake me, my debt card doesn't work, and my day just doesn't generally go the way I planned, I won't freak out. Today's occurrences have proven to me that it isn't worth it to worry about the little problems in life, as things could clearly be worse.

Photo Credit: The Change Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...