December 26, 2012

Boxing Day Shopping




























Arguable one of the biggest 'holidays' in Canada, Boxing Day is a revered day for many, myself included. I haven't participated in Boxing Day shopping for the past few years, but I got back into the swing of things this year. My mom and I used to go Boxing Day shopping together each year when I was in high school and university, but in the years since I have moved out the tradition has sadly gone by the wayside. Desperately wanting to hit up the mall for the endless discounts, I convinced my husband to join me early this morning. His only stipulation? We had to be at the mall before the stores opened, to ensure that our shopping experience would be as quick and painless as possible.

You don't need me to tell you again how much of a morning person I am not. I dread mornings, and I will admit that even though I was pretty excited about going to the mall and actually shopping, a small part of me actually considered telling my husband to forget about it, in favour of sleeping in. But I knew that if I slept in I would always be wondering "what if.." about the potential deals I could have had. So I had him look up the mall hours and I begrudgingly agreed to set my alarm clock so that I would be ready to head to the mall at 7:30am this morning.

I got up with less trouble than predicted {probably because I was excited haha}, tossed some clothes on and pulled my hair into a ponytail. I chose to fore go makeup. And I am thus proud to report that I was in the car and we were backing out of the driveway at 7:29. It was a promising start!

But my good feelings were short-lived, as when we got close to the mall all we could see was rows upon rows of cars. Walking inside the mall was no better; several stores had line-ups that were 50 feet deep or more. My husband and I were both bee-lining for the same store {RW&CO} - as rather than try and guess size or style my mom had given us each gift cards, knowing we love the clothes there - but we were giving each other worried glances ever hundred feet, when we encountered a new and seemingly larger line-up outside a store. When we finally reached the hallway where RW &CO is located, our panicked looks increased. All we could see was a massive line, approximately 4 people wide and 50 people deep, snaking from the middle of the hallway where RW&CO is out and down the hall. It had appeared that out worst fears had come true: My husband would be miserable waiting in line, and I would be miserable knowing he was miserable.

Part of me wondered if perhaps we should turn around and wait until tomorrow to shop, as most of the sales are week-long, though the merchandise is often picked-over after the first day. But it would have a been a compromise between his hatred of shopping and my desire to score the best deal. We didn't stop though, and we kept walking towards this large congregation of Boxing Day shoppers. Walking, and walking, and walking... and before we knew it we were past the line-up, but not yet quite at RW&CO. It seems that the line-up was for another store, and other than a few people milling around out front, there was no one waiting in line for RW&CO! We stood out front and when the doors were unlocked we calmly walked in; and we walked away with some awesome steals afterwards. My husband got some dress pants and I scored myself a gorgeous silk blouse for $22. And better yet, I am waiting on a phone call to confirm the availability of my size for my purchase of a $45 navy blue, button-down and belted pea coat that originally retailed for $189.

The moral of the story is that my husband was right, and earlier was better. Though we were obviously not early enough for some stores, we were right on time for RW&CO, because as time went on the number of shoppers in the store increased, and the line-up for the cash register grew and grew. But we were able to get in and out fairly quickly: From the time we left home until the time we returned we were only gone for an hour and a half. Not too bad for Boxing Day!

Photo Credit: Marie Claire Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...