December 24, 2012

I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas





























...Well maybe not. But I was definitely that child who asked for the most obscure presents from Santa growing up. Looking back now, I honestly have no idea how my parents were able to accommodate my random and often illogical requests, in order to keep up the magical facade of Santa.

The most ridiculous thing I think I ever asked for was a pink and white polka dot elephant. If you have ever watched the classic Christmas special Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, you will likely remember that the Island of Misfit Toys. In case you don't I'll quickly refresh your memory: Rudolph and his friends travel to the Island of Misfit Toys, where they meet several toys that are classified as defective and thus are not fit to be handed out by Santa Claus. One of these misfit toys was a pink elephant with polka dots: I am still not clear on whether the pink colour or the polka dots were the defect in this toy, but perhaps it was both. Nevertheless, as I love elephants and I felt sorry for this little one, I asked my mom for Santa to bring me this little misfit elephant for Christmas, as I thought it should be loved and I wanted to rescue it. Please bear in mind that I was about 3 or 4 years old when this happened, and I had not yet quite grasped the difference between TV and reality.

So in order to keep the magic of Santa alive my poor parents were tasked with scouring the local malls and toy shops, trying to find a toy that most likely didn't even exist. Needless to say, they were unable to find this pink polka dot elephant. So instead, on Christmas morning I woke up to find a gigantic stuffed pink elephant under my tree, accompanied by a story from my parents to explain why the elephant I received was lacking white spots. The elephant was bigger than I was, and I was completely flabbergasted by the sheer size of it that the lack of polka dots was a non-issue. I was just so pleased that Santa had brought me a near-perfect misfit elephant that the smaller details didn't even matter.

Even though my parents were unable to find exactly what I had asked for, they found the near-impossible: After all, how many gigantic pink elephants have you ever seen? They aren't exactly a common item. But my parents were able to find something just as good as what I had asked for, and they were able to keep the magic of Christmas and Santa alive and well in our home that year, {and for many more}. Thanks mom and dad, your efforts to find me the perfect gift were and are appreciated!

Photo Credit: Telus {on Twitter}

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...