January 19, 2013

Fifty Shades of Embarrassed


























Recently I have hopped on the bandwagon and started reading the Fifty Shades of Grey trilogy. I know I am a little late in reading these books as they were all the rage this time last year, but whatever. Better late than never, right?

Anyways, I was going to visit my aunt in the hospital recently, as she is recovering from an incredibly extensive surgery. Knowing that my aunt wants company but also needs lots of rest, I packed my purse with some items that would keep my occupied at the foot of her bed while she slept. Magazines, iPod... I was about to throw Fifty Shades of Grey in there as well, as I figured I could get some solid reading time in. But then I realized, with horror, that my aunt would see this book. Either she would recognize the book for what it was immediately, or she would be unaware of the nature of the book, and thus likely to ask me what I was reading and what it was about. Imagine trying to explain that! So sadly I left Fifty Shades at home. I just couldn't risk it.

Driving to the hospital I was thinking about other situations that I would be in where popping open my copy of Fifty Shades of Grey would be inappropriate. I had no trouble at all picturing many scenarios where it would be very embarrassing to be reading Fifty Shades; I was in fact hard-pressed to come up with scenarios where it wouldn't be embarrassing to be caught reading this book {or the other two in the trilogy}. Given that everyone in the world seems to know the general gist of these books, it seems like no where is without scrutiny. It's times like this I wish I had a Kobo...

Photo Credit: Parent Dish

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...