January 13, 2013

Nakedness

























When I starting wearing makeup at about age 14, I was obsessed with it. I was blessed with having relativity good skin, minus the odd pimple here and there from time to time, but that didn't matter to me, as I felt naked without my makeup, and I wouldn't leave the house unless I was completely done up. Not that I was ever truly "done up" per se, as let's be honest, my 14 year old self didn't really know how to properly apply anything except perhaps lip balm. However, unless I had a thick covering of foundation, a swipe of blush on each cheek, eye shadow, eye liner, mascara, and lipstick on, I was not leaving my house. At all. Even to go to the pharmacy or the grocery store at night when I was sick. I mean, what would happen if I happened to run into my friends with my naked face? Or heaven forbid, a boy?! It just wasn't worth the risk, and so I adamantly refused to go anywhere without my makeup on.

Fast forward 10+ years and I am happy to report that my makeup routine has vastly changed, and so have my attitudes towards makeup. Thankfully I no longer refuse to go out of the house unless I am perfectly painted, and I have been seen by people I know {more than once} out in public with not a scrap of makeup on my naked face. And those boys I was terrified of seeing me without my makeup on? Well, I live with one now, so I'm pretty sure the illusion of my perfection was shattered long ago.

The reason for my changes are likely two-fold: Not only have I gained the self-confidence that my 14 year old self was lacking and thus come to the realization that I am more than the makeup I apply to my face, but I have come to recognize that life happens and there isn't always time to put on a face full of makeup before heading out the door. Staying home to swipe on that dash of eye shadow may mean missing something awesome, like the ice cream truck cruising down the street or your baby niece taking her first swim in the backyard pool. It also means less time with those important to you, who won't care that you aren't all made up so much as the fact that you are simply there.

I'm not trying to say that wearing makeup is no longer a priority to me {hello dark circles!} but I am saying that it is no longer the intense priority that it once was. I still enjoy putting it on in the morning and experimenting with eye shadow shades and mascara wands and all that, and I certainly appreciate how it can make me look awake on the days when I am craving my bed. But I also embrace the days when I can go to the grocery store with nothing on at all, save for perhaps a good moisturizer, and the days when people ask me what brand of foundation I am wearing and my response is "none".

Photo Credit: This & That Photography

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...