April 28, 2013

Going Green

























For a long time I have been telling myself that I am going to try a green smoothie. I have been putting it off for a while because something about a green smoothie has made me take a pause. I think perhaps the colour of the smoothie is part of the problem, as green is not really a super appetizing colour. No matter how delicious, I can't seem to get the idea of swamp water out of my head. Also, I think that the fact that vegetables make this smoothie green is part of the problem. I realize how silly this sounds, as I have been wanting to try a green smoothie because of the fact that it contains veggies - and therefore a host of nutritional benefits not found in most traditional smoothies - but I think this is part of my hang up.

But I finally set my excuses to the side and made one this past weekend. I chose a recipe that is fairly similar to the smoothies that I make on a regular basis, with the hopes that I would be able to stomach the idea of vegetables before I've had coffee. This recipe is from the Healthy's Girls Kitchen Blog, and there are many green smoothie recipes listed there. I would really like to try one that includes avocado in its ingredients, but for now this recipe was a good starting point.


Good Greens Smoothie

1 cup almond milk
2 cups fresh spinach
1/2 cup blueberries
1 banana
1 tsp flax seeds

Add all ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth.


The smoothie itself turned out really well, however, you should know that I left the flax seeds out because, I'll be honest, I couldn't find them in the grocery store {anyone know what aisle they're in?} but I would like to add them in the future. I was pretty happy that the spinach taste was hidden by the other ingredients; the blueberries and the banana really sweetened the entire flavour. However, the consistency and colour weren't quite what I had hoped. The shade of green was not as light and pretty as the smoothie pictured above - sadly my smoothie was pretty dark in colour and actually did resemble swamp water. But it tasted so good  that I got over the colour and enjoyed it!


Photo Credit: Inspired Taste

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...