April 6, 2013

Little Quinoa Patties Recipe



























If you remember back a few months, I was {and still am} obsessed with a quinoa salad recipe that my mother-in-law gave me at Christmas time. I have been trying to increase my quinoa recipe stash since I have mastered this salad, but I have had little success in finding recipes that would suit my tastes and those of my somewhat picky husband {he won't eat the aforementioned salad}. I was starting to think that maybe I wouldn't find anything that would suit both of our tastes, until I found this little gem of a recipe.

A friend of mine made these little quinoa patties for me recently when we were having lunch at her place and I freakin love them! Loved them to the point that even if my husband didn't want to try them I was going to make them on a regular basis. Here is the recipe so you can try them for yourself:


Little Quinoa Patties

Yield: 12 little patties / 6 large patties

  • 2 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
  • 4 large eggs, beaten
  • 1/2 tsp fine-grain sea salt
  • 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh chives
  • 1 yellow or white onion, finely chopped
  • 1/3 cup grated parmesan or greyere cheese
  • 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • 1 cup whole grain bread crumbs
  • 1 tbsp olive oil

1. Combine the quinoa, eggs, and salt in a medium bowl. Once well mixed, stir in the chives, onion, cheese, and garlic.

2. Stir in the bread crumbs and let sit for a few minutes in order to let the crumbs soak up some of the moisture. At this point, the mixture should be easily be formed into 2 cm thick patties. If the mixture won't easily form into patties, then add either more eggs or water in order to make it more moist, or more bread crumbs in order to soak up excess moisture.

3. Add oil to the bottom of a large pan and add patties so that they have space between them. Cover and cook the patties for 7-10 minutes, until the bottoms are brown. Once browned, carefully flip the patties over and cook the other side for 7-10 minutes, until they are as brown as the other side.

4. Remove the patties from the pan and cool on a wire rack. Continue to cook patties until the mixture is used up. However, if you only wish to make a few patties at a time, the mixture will keep in the fridge for a few days.


I will completely honest with you, my first try to make this recipe was a complete disaster. Complete. Disaster. I couldn't make the patties form into actual patties no hard how I tried. The closest thing I could get them to be was semi-circular lumps of the mixture in the pan. I think that perhaps they would cook and so I set the timer and kept a close eye on them. Well, a close eye until the smoke detector started shrieking {as apparently they were burning} and my puppy freaked out.

It basically became a lost cause at this point. Once I stopped the smoke alarm and comforted my dog, I figured I should try and flip them to see just how black the bottoms had become. Except that they didn't flip well at all; I was able to get them onto the spatula without issue, but the actual flipping action caused each little 'patties' {if I can even call them that} to explode into a hundred little pieces when they hit the pan. I tried to be super gentle after I flipped the first one without success, but it didn't make a difference as they broke apart no matter that.

So starving by now, I resolved to make the best of it. I threw away the really burned pieces and I tried to salvage the rest. I put it in a bowl and mixed in a little bit of the tsatziki sauce that I had bought to dip the little patties into. It actually tasted pretty good, but was a very far cry from the intended patties. But my husband and I were so hungry that I decided to fry up the rest of the mixture, mush like I would if I was making scrambled eggs. It was kind of strange, but mixed with the tsatziki it was pretty tasty. So tasty in fact that my husband {the quinoa-hater} loved it! I'm sure that he would love it even more had the recipe actually turned out...

Anyways, I will be trying this again in the future. I loved the recipe so much when I previously had it with my friend that I won't let a disaster like this put me off the recipe forever. I am still trying to figure out where I went wrong {maybe too much bread?} but I will keep you updated.

Photo Credit: The Kitchen is Calling

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...