April 27, 2013

My Accumulation of Stuff



When I was a  kid I was very, very, very messy and unorganized. As an adult, in many aspects of my life I have {thankfully} become the absolute opposite. If asked, several of my co-workers would tell you that I am an organizational freak - I am generally organized and on top of everything at all times. At home though, it's a bit of a different story. I would love to tell you that I live by that old saying "a place for everything, and everything in it's place" but that would be a lie. The truth is, my husband and I just have too much stuff in order to be truly organized.

This is a fact that is becoming more and more painfully obvious to us the more we pack up our house. With one week left until moving day, I am pretty concerned. We have made several attempts to downsize our possessions - including selling furniture and donating clothing - but nothing really seems to make a noticeable different in the amount of stuff we have. It always seem like too much. And the thing I am really trying not to think about is if it looks like we have too much stuff in our current house, what will it look like when we get down to the condo, which is less than half the size of our current place? I am horrified.

I would love to be able to tell you that I am one of those people who hoards things - this way my gluttonous possession of stuff would be a little more excusable. But frankly I'm not. I would also love to provide you with some logical explanation as to why there is so much stuff in my house to begin with - but I can't. Honestly, I know that my husband or I would have walked all this stuff in through the front door at one point or another, but I don't recall such things ever happening to the scale it apparently is. I plead ignorance - how did we accumulate so much stuff?!

The worst part is, that we have only lived here for a little over two years. Imagine if I had lived here for 10 years? Heaven forbid this place was my "forever home" and I had lived here for 40+ years. I can't even imagine all the stuff we would have lying around!

Photo Credit: SaveMax Storage

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...